James Willard Bass



Jim died October 12, 2009

What song most reminds you of your school days?
Big Girls Don't Cry

What teacher most influenced you?  
Which reunions have you attended?
10th, 40th

Fondest memories of your days at Central:
Worn Steps & floors and Oil Smell
Whipping every day by Olinger

My life since graduation:  
After graduation I worked my way through the University of Tennessee in their co-op program with IBM.  Upon graduation with a BS in Mechanical Engineering I moved to Ft Worth TX to work at General Dynamics.  I got married in 1967 and had twin daughters, Karen and Stacey in 1969.  I moved back to Chattanooga in the fall of that year to work for Combustion Engineering.  I went to the UT graduate school at night and received my MS in Engineering Mechanics in 1972.  After 11years I changed jobs, moving to TVA to manage the fluidized bed pilot plant test program.  I left TVA to form my own engineering company “Fluidized Bed Technologies” with two of my key supervisors.  Have since diversified FBT into Nuclear Engineering and Environmental Stack Testing with offices in Paducah and Cincinnati.

I got divorced in 1987 and remarried in 1989.  My wife, Sandy, and I are blessed with an extended family of 3 daughters and 1 son plus 8 grand children. In addition to our home in North Chattanooga, we own condos in Beech Mountain and Gulf Shores (we love snow skiing and the beach).  We have traveled extensively during our life together. Included in our travels have been trips to Grand Bahamas, Trinidad, Canada to see the Rockies, Vancouver, and every state except New Mexico, Arkansas, and Wisconsin.  Some of our favorites were San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, Brice Canyon, New England, Lake Tahoe, Salt Lake City, Telluride, Jackson Hole, and Yellowstone National Park.  Our philosophy is to enjoy life to its fullest while we have our health

In 1999 I was diagnosed with a primary cancer of the brain. I was given only a 15% chance of the cancer not recurring in 3 years. After surgery to remove the cancer and an adjunct therapy of radiation and chemotherapy that ended in July of 2000, I have been in a stable condition with no sign of new tumor growth.

I look forward to seeing you at the 40th reunion.