Lloyd Howell



Lloyd died May 3, 2007

What song most reminds you of your school days?
Duke of Earl- Mostly, I think because we all thought we were 10' tall and bullet proof at the time.

What teacher most influenced you?  
I don't know that I could say that any one teacher influenced me more than another, but Mrs. Majors gave me a D- in English, allowing  me to graduate. I don't know if she did it out of pity or in defense of her sanity.
Which reunions have you attended?

Fondest memories of your days at Central:
For me, the most memorable events in school took place with the Drill Team and ROTC in general. We had some great times on trips and in competitions. Especially the trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras in '62. I still remember Sgt. Gilbert being so, dare I say upset, that he busted everyone on the team to private. I believe he may have even been foaming at the mouth while he was doing it.

My life since graduation:  
As some of the others have said in their Bio's, I pretty much wasted my time in school. I graduated without knowing much more than I did when I entered. After graduation, I sat around for about 3 weeks before I realized I had nothing to do, nowhere to go, and little to look forward to.

Having already enlisted in the Navy Reserve, I though it might be "fun" to go on active duty for a couple of years. Lo and behold, it was "fun" (at least, most of it), and I stayed with it for 20 years and 3 days (but who counted?). I was lucky enough to serve on submarines, surface ships, and in the Navy air wing. I spent most of the last 10 years of my career as an In-Flight Technician on the P3C Orion submarine hunter aircraft.

During the 3rd year of my career, I met a wee Scottish Lassie that "snatched a knot in my tail" . Up until then, I had been pretty foot loose and had continued my policy of learning next to nothing as I went frolicking through life. She put a stop to that, and I am grateful she did. We have now been married for 37 years. We have two sons and two grandchildren. All are well and doing much better than me when I was their age.

When I retired from the military, I went to work for a major medical equipment manufacturer as a Field Service Engineer.  I worked for them for 15 years or so. One day in October of 1997, they decided they could do without my services (I still believe this to be the reason they have declined to the point that their stock has been pulled off the exchange!)

At any rate, I felt sorry for myself about 15 minutes and decided that if I really wanted to work for someone that would appreciate my talents, I would have to start my own business. I started Comprehensive Biomedical Services, Inc. in November of '97 and have never looked back. I am happy to say that my partner and I have been able to grow this business very substantially in the past 4 years. We are currently in the process of moving to a larger facility and will soon be able of offer products through our web site.

I am looking forward to attending the upcoming reunion. It will be my first since graduation, and if I can be of any help, let me know.

In a nut shell, this is my life. Seems like so little for so long a period of time.